Advocacy for Universities & Colleges
We celebrate uniqueness; we encourage it, knowing a diverse team is a strong team. We believe diversity drives innovation. We are building a culture where differences are valued, and equity is standard. We offer a holistic approach to our clients providing an array of support services, empowering clients to choose what is right for their healing journey.
CIS does not discriminate based on color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, disability, or age.
Campus Advocacy Services
In troubling times, the best thing you can have is support in your corner. That’s why we’ve carefully trained and selected members of our community who have the greatest wealth of compassion and knowledge to serve the needs of our clients. Too many times after a violent act has been committed, the victim feels lost and unsure of what to do or who to speak to. That’s where we come in.
Our network of specialists and volunteers are standing by every day to offer a supportive, guiding hand. We are active listeners and use a caring approach to ensure the best outcome for the individuals and families we serve.
Here are some of the areas of advocacy we are proud to offer in our community:
- Legal Advocacy– preparing paperwork, understanding the justice system, assist in searching for legal counsel, etc. (*Iowa Legal Aid is also a referral resource we use as we’re not attorney’s and can’t give legal advice for things such as divorce, civil suits, and case representation.
- Title IX support for college students.
- Economic Advocacy– aiding in creating budgets, developing financial independence, explaining personal finances, and offering financial education services.
- Medical Advocacy– acting as a liaison between you and the medical community, explaining your rights, accompanying health care appointments, and acknowledge the options in the aftermath of victimization and trauma.
- Housing Advocacy– investigating potential options for safe housing in necessary situations, discussing economical and personal barriers that affect housing, explore community resources for protection
- Community Education– empowering all ages to be aware and active in the prevention of violent activities, demonstrating appropriate behaviors, and nurturing positive influences in the vision to put an end to the violence.
Our Campus Advocate
Office: (641) 673-0336
Cell: (641) 660-6594 (text or call)
(If you can not get in contact with me no worries! I will call or text back as soon as I get back to my office, if you are in need of immediate support please contact our 24/7 phone line)
Campus Office Locations
810 Fifth Ave Suite 1 Grinnell Iowa 50112
Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays 8-4:30
On-Campus Grinnell College Office-
Center for Religion, Spirituality, and Social Justice (CRSSJ)
913 8th Ave Grinnell, IA 50112
Hours tentative (Closed due to COVID-19)
On-Campus Indian Hills Community College Centerville Office
721 North 1st St Lecture Hall C Centerville, IA 52544
This office may be hard to find so feel free to stop by the administration office for directions
Thursdays from 9:00 am to 11:30 am
On-Campus Indian Hills Community College Ottumwa Office
525 Grandview Avenue Trustee Hall Ottumwa, IA 52501
Thursdays from 1:00pm-3:30pm
On-Campus William Penn University Office
Located in The Union Counseling Center
Campus Reach offers prevention and education programs for colleges and universities throughout Southeast Iowa. We specifically enjoy working with Campus Staff, Athletic Departments, Greek Organizations, and Welcome and Registration Teams.
Campuses we currently work with:
- Indian Hills Community College Centerville & Ottumwa
- Central College
- Grinnell College
- William Penn University
- DMACC Newton
- Buena Vista University Newton
- Iowa Valley Grinnell
- Maharishi University
Support. Educate. Empower CIS assists individuals and families rebuilding their lives in the aftermath of sexual assault or violent crime