Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month is right around the corner! You can make a difference by joining with RAINN this April in the fight to end sexual violence. More than a quarter of a million people are sexually assaulted each year in the U.S, but you have the power to make a difference:
1. Reach Out to a Loved One. It’s never too late to let a survivor in your life know that you care. Learn some simple tips about how to be there. The National Sexual Assault Hotline can also provide you and your loved one with confidential help, 24/7: 1-800-656-HOPE and online.rainn.org
2. Make Your Voice Heard. Congress needs to hear from you about your support for legislation to improve the criminal justice system, support survivors and bring sexual predators to justice. Visit the RAINN Action Center and contact your Member of Congress about legislation that is important to survivors, like renewing the Debbie Smith Act. It could be as easy as tweeting with @RAINN #ActWithRAINN.
3. Volunteer. Looking to donate your time? There are so many ways you can get involved in your community: Volunteer for your local rape crisis center or the Online Hotline or get involved on your campus.
4. Get Social. With a “share” or “RT” you can educate your networks about sexual violence prevention and recovery! Stay tuned to RAINN’s social media for content that we’ll be sharing all month long about how you can make a difference: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest. Tag your posts with #SAAM to follow the conversation.
5. Join the #Speak4RAINN15 campaign. You can help survivors by sharing about the 15th anniversary of “Speak,” the acclaimed novel by Laurie Halse Anderson. Bookstores will offer incentives and participants can win prizes. Learn more here.